Saturday, November 15, 2014

Running with Robin

You may have read my last post about how all this running got started. I think I need to elaborate a little more Robin's habits while running. She's a riot. I really need to be taking more pictures on my runs of all her little adventures. I have three stories for you today.

1. The Pizza

On one of my first runs with Robin, I was really struggling. I kept telling myself things like "when you make it to the next corn field you can walk" or "THREE MORE TELEPHONES POLES AND IT'S OVER". It was a rough run.

I could hear Robin running up behind me. She had been searching for good smells on the side of the road. When she ran past me, she had a huge grin on her face and had a full slice of pizza in her mouth. Her trot had turned into a prance as she showed off her treasure. I started laughing and forgot all about my aches and pains. The pizza remained in her mouth for the last mile and a half home. It made me giggle the rest of the time, too.


2. The Turtle Shell

This was a little bit short lived but still pretty comical. Robin had been poking around in the recently harvested corn field when we saw her pull a big hunk of dirt out of the ground. We had no idea what it was until she got closer. A foot long turtle shell! She was struggling to carry it while running so she did end up ditching it. I'm sure that if it had been pizza sized she would have carried it the rest of the way home.

All her little quirks make the runs more enjoyable, even when it's simple the sound of her paws hitting the pavement as she tries to catch up.

3. I Heart You

Okay, this is the most recent run we went on, my first 6 miler of training. Robin and I were by ourselves this time. We were probably around the two mile mark when there was an ominous deflated balloon stuck in the grass on the side of the road. It read "I Heart You" and was shaped like a heart. I saw it and didn't think much of it. Not Robin, she was horrified. What was this thing?! I'm not sure exactly what she was thinking, but she was ready to defend me from whatever this aggressive balloon decided to do. All the hair on her back was sticking straight up and she was all ears. I went over to  the balloon to show her there was no danger, but she was a little on edge for the next mile. While it was pretty comical when she got in defense mode over a balloon, I do make a point of trying to let her know that she is safe with me and that strange new things are not bad. We're going to be taking her to a trainer within the next week to work on that with her.


I hope you enjoyed my little stories today. Please let me know if there is anything you would like to hear more about. I think my stories are going to involve some new pups very soon. I'm really looking forward to meeting some foster dogs from It's a Pittie Rescue. This way my readers and donors can get to know the dogs they are helping. If you enjoy my blog and would like to make a donation to It's a Pittie Rescue, you can use the widget on the side of the page or click here. It also tremendously helps when you like the facebook page (click here) and share these posts. This organization helps dogs like our Robin. They rescue, rehabilitate, rehome, and provide education about the breed.

No comments:

Post a Comment