Wednesday, November 12, 2014

How the Running Began

I come from a family of runners. My dad was a cross country coach; it seemed like my brother was always out on the road throughout his youth; and my sister seems to hassle me into running with her almost every time we see each other. I was the odd ball. Even my parents' dogs Pre (after Steve Prefontaine, the famous runner) Sanuk (not after the shoe) are runners.

My dad, sister, and brother about 17 years ago

When we got our first dog Kojak, I was always pestering Axel to take him on runs. Kojak loves to run more than anything. Sadly, he's not very good on a leash and we can't trust him not to run off without one. 

Kojak frolicking in the yard. 


When Robin showed up, I didn't really expect her to be much of a runner. She kind of waddles when she walks and wasn't moving too fast at first--especially compared to Kojak. We live in the country, so Robin gets the luxury of playing in the yard without a leash or much to worry about. I had her out one morning when Axel was taking off for a jog. Without him knowing, she trotted behind him. I was in flip-flops and had no intention of trying to catch up. I waited at the end of the driveway for Axel to realize she was with him. When he came back with her, I handed him the leash and told him to give her a chance. He was a little reluctant after experiencing Kojak's disobedience, but I did persuade him in the end. She's been running ever since.

Robin had to take a break from running when we got her spayed. At the end of her recovery, something came over me. I wanted to give running one last chance. A half marathon would be just the right length to keep me motivated. A friend had just finished a marathon. I was so happy for her, but a bit self loathing at the same time. I'm capable, and I can do this.

I took Robin out on a run when she was fully recovered. Let me tell you, she is fun to watch. When she's out on the road with you, she's having a blast. She's running, jumping, chasing birds, and searching for the perfect smell.When she lags behind a little, she runs as fast as she can to catch up and gives you a big smile as she passes by. She's there as a happy distraction when I'm struggling along and has made my decision to do this much easier.

One day as we were running along, I knew what would put me over the top. I could run for her. Well, not exactly for her, but for dogs like her that need immediate care and attention. It's a Pittie Rescue had been so much help when we first found Robin. They gave us ideas to socialize her with Kojak, how to make her feel more comfortable, and how to create an environment where she would not feel scared anymore. This organization also rescues, rehabilitates, rehomes, and provides education about this breed. It was decided. I would raise funds for this rescue while I trained for the half marathon. If you would like to donate to this fundraiser, please check out the widget on the side of the page or click here.

Robin and Kojak

No comments:

Post a Comment