Sunday, November 9, 2014

Robin's Story

I was on a dirt, country road a mile from home when I saw an exhausted dog trotting along side the road. I couldn't help myself; I pulled over to make sure she was okay and check her collar for a tag to see if she was was near home. I'd never seen this dog around here before. I walked around the front of my car to where she had been. She circled the car until she reached the driver side door which I'd left open. It looked comfortable, I guess, because she crawled uneasily into the driver seat.



I could not get her to budge, and she looked pretty indifferent toward me. She was tired. I did what I could to get her to move. I would have been more than content had she just moved to the passenger side.. But no.

As I got a closer look, I could see that she lacked a collar and that she had recently had pups. Where were they? Poor girl. There was a circular burn a little smaller than a dime on her face and she was pretty dusty. How had she gotten there? I almost didn't want to know.



I was stuck a mile from home with a dog in the drivers seat in my car. I called everyone I could think of to help. No one answered. I did the only thing I could think to do. I pushed the drivers seat back as far as it would go and crawled in front of her. I rode the last mile home with the door open and me hanging partially outside the car. I should add that my car is a manual just to add to the awkwardness of it all.

I'm sure we were a sight to see as I pulled into the driveway--yelling and halfway in the car with a new dog behind me. Axel, my boyfriend, was outside doing yard work. He shook his head unsurprised when he saw what I'd done.

With Axel's help, we finally pulled her out. We tried to coax her out with excited voices and treats, but in the end we had to pull her out with a spare collar and leash. She didn't come easily. 


The first week or so was a little rough. We could not get her to come inside the house. She would lay down as we tried to pull her in. No amount of treats of coaxing would work. Finally, there was a storm. I tried to get her to come inside multiple times throughout the night. She had been sleeping under the bushes. When water from the rain crept into the little nest she had made, she started to cry and was ready to come in--finally! 

I think coming inside may have been the beginning of the end for Axel's hopes of finding her a home other than our own. She quickly transformed into a loving, playful girl, and she just recently discovered cuddling. My heart melts every time I come home from work as she wiggles over to greet me with a big smile and an ever wagging tail.

As you may have read in my first post, I'm raising funds for It's a Pittie Rescue while I train for the Starved Rock Half Marathon. This organization helps dogs like our Robin. They rescue, rehabilitate, rehome, and provide education about the breed. If you enjoy any of my posts, please share and encourage donations. You may donate through Crowdrise. There is a widget on the side of this page or you can click here. Feedback is also appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment